I’m using this post as a place to store and share “notes” from DrupalCon Baltimore. The part of conference notes I tend to find most useful are links and stray ideas I get talking with people. I don’t tend to take detailed notes anymore since I rarely if ever go back to those, although on rare occasions I do re-watch a session if I found it particularly useful.
Basically this is a dump of links, pictures from various things, and a few stray thoughts. I’ll edit as the week progresses and probably add more thoughts and ideas.
Prenote: https://events.drupal.org/baltimore2017/balti-more-prenote-balti-most-fun-drupalcon (unmitigated silliness)
Import things to call out:
- Claims we’re launching 15,000 D8 sites per month!
- Field Layout module (experimental in Drupal 8.3 core) appears to be DS in core: https://www.drupal.org/node/2795833
- BigPipe is ready for production.
- Quick edit can do drag and drop image upload.
Greg Anderson’s PHP OSS Workflow tools: https://events.drupal.org/baltimore2017/sessions/development-workflow-tools-open-source-php-libraries
- Some time is more important than others, like outages.
- To find Drupal plugins on Packages: https://packagist.org/search/?type=drupal-drush
- poser.pugx.org provides badges on packagist pages.
- https://scrutinizer-ci.com/ “Sometimes any static analysis tools will give you answers you don’t like so just ignore it.”
- https://www.versioneye.com/ uses the licenses from composer.json to check for both out of date and for compatible licenses. Not terribly useful internally, but user for open projects since you can link a badge to the result. Alternative `composer licenses` which is actually smarter.
- Sami: A symfony component that does a JavaDoc like project for API documents. https://github.com/FriendsOfPHP/Sami
Baby Steps, Lessons Learned & Big plans for Drupal Diversity and Inclusion: https://events.drupal.org/baltimore2017/sessions/year-diversity-initiatives (Core conversations style 30 minute talk with 30 minutes questions).
- https://drupaldiversity.github.io/ For main materials of the group.
- https://drupaldiversity.github.io/resources/ For 3rd party resources to help people get up to speed.
— Fatima Sarah Khalid (@ksFatima) April 25, 2017
Launching Online Stores with Commerce 2.x on Drupal 8 https://events.drupal.org/baltimore2017/sessions/launching-online-stores-commerce-2x-drupal-8
- Main Take away: Commerce in D8 is much closer to ready than I thought, mainly cause like Drupal core much more functionality was moved from supporting modules into Commerce core.
- https://www.orlowatches.com/ Is live on D8 Commerce 2
- https://www.drupal.org/project/commerce_stripe Commerce Guys maintained. Although Braintree is the implementation they seem to like best.
Drupal is Changing, Quickly: How and Why https://events.drupal.org/baltimore2017/sessions/drupal-changing-quickly-how-and-why
- Main Take Aways: It seems to be working, and we’re confident enough about the current plan that I think it’s a bit more real than it’s been in the past. And there are ways to track (engage in) what’s being considered for new features.
- Jeff Geerling’s tips for D8 in composer: https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2017/tips-managing-drupal-8-projects-composer
- I expect more notes from the BoF today here: https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2017/composer-bof-drupalcon-baltimore or https://events.drupal.org/baltimore2017/bofs/managing-drupal-sites-composer
- The general sense is that we all clearly need to master Composer. Drupal core support for composer workflows is weak by default and needs to be fixed.
- List of current issues: https://www.drupal.org/project/issues/drupal?text=Composer&status=Open&priorities=All&categories=All&version=All&component=All&order=last_comment_timestamp&sort=desc
— Darlyne Dolap (@DarlyneDolap) April 26, 2017
- Slides: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_ISJ0Qb3k1Od1ZIV2FXWTJnLUk
- Outlines a project process for fixed budget projects with two defined points to refine estimates and scope to help achieve success.
— Heather Rodriguez (@hrodrig) April 26, 2017
- Complete Play list: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpeDXSh4nHjRbDdwHEBRHItfnjrJ8kEDK
— Diversity&Inclusion (@drupaldiversity) April 27, 2017