After a couple months off, SC DUG met this month with a presentation on super cheap Drupal hosting.
Chris opened by talking about using AWS Micro servers. Will shared a solution using a Raspberry Pi for a fully wireless server. I closed the discussion with a review of using Drupal Tome on Netlify.
We all worked from a loose set of rules to help keep us honest and prevent overlapping:
Rules for Cheap D8 Hosting Challenge
The goal is to figure out the cheapest D8 hosting that would actually function for a project, even if it is deeply irresponsible to actually use.
- It has to actually work for D8 (so modern PHP version, working database, etc),
- You do not actually have to spend the money, but you do need to know all the steps required to make it work.
- It needs to honor the TOS for any networks and services you use (no illegal network taps – legal hidden taps are fair game).
- You have to share your idea with the other players so we don’t have two people propose the same solution (first-come-first-serve on ideas).
Be prepared to talk for about 5 minutes on how your solution would work. Your talk needs to include:
- Estimated Monthly cost for the first year.
- Steps required to make it work.
- Known weaknesses.
If you have a super cheap hosting solution for Drupal 8 we’d love to hear about it.